Southampton Conservative Leaders Back Vote Leave Campaign

0

A number of leading members of the local Conservative party have voiced they will be voting to leave the EU in the upcoming referendum. 

Making a strong stance against their leader – David Cameron- they have said they believe Britain will be better off not a member of the European Union.

Among them is Jeremy Moulton, the leader of Southampton Conservative who lost the Southampton Test seat (the constituency in which the University sits) to Labour’s Alan Whitehead in May.

MP for Southampton Itchen, Royston Smith and Deputy leader Dan Fitzhenry have also expressed they are skeptical about the European Union, both retweeting a number #VoteLeave tweets.

David Fuller, councillor for Bitterne Park has also backed plans to leave.

Speaking exclusive to Wessex Scene, Jeremy Moulton said:

I have always felt that it was right to wait to see the deal on the table before making a decision on whether to vote to stay in the EU or to leave. We now have the draft deal and I am profoundly disappointed. The changes, in my mind, don’t even qualify as tinkering around the edges. Our relationship with the EU is totally unsatisfactory today and the proposed deal doesn’t alter that fact.

It doesn’t deal with the fundamental democratic deficit in the EU or restore British control of our borders. Given that negotiation hasn’t delivered, only by voting to leave the EU can we establish the sort of relationship I want to see, which is a free trade area and not a political union.

23rd June 2016 is the expected date of the referendum. With parties on both side of the political spectrum campaigning to stay in and out.

Ronan Brennan, President of Southampton University Conservative Association told Wessex Scene:

I’m aware we aren’t united on this issue. My personal stance as president is that people should be encouraged to make their own decision based on a mid-long term economic evaluation of the benefits posed by both the in and out causes. When put to the citizenry, this decision should not be made along party lines – this is an important choice, and one that individuals should make with the future of their nation in mind. I personally am undecided as there are strong economic arguments on both sides.

More articles in EU Referendum
  1. The EU: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly – Arguments for Reform
  2. Southampton Conservative Leaders Back Vote Leave Campaign
  3. The Importance of Voting
  4. An Interview With Lord Bourne: “Vote Remain”
  5. How David Cameron Screwed Up Boris’ Plan by Resigning

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.