Police Investigate Robbing of Santander on Burgess Road

0

Hampshire Police have lauched an investigation after a cash box was stolen from security staff at the Santander branch on Burgess Road at around 1am on Thursday morning.

Located in the Gower Building at the edge of Highfield Campus, the bank is popular with students. Two G4S staff members were reportedly assaulted by three white men, one of whom is said to have been wearing a red hooded jumper.  One staff member is reported to have cut his knee after being pushed to the ground by the suspects, who escaped with a ‘quantity of cash’.

Detective Constable Jonathan Hyland told the Daily Echo:

Fortunately the G4S staff member was not seriously assaulted but this was more luck than judgement.

Security staff serving the public need to be able to do their jobs without fear of violence and assaults…

Somebody will know who was out at 1am and that they were planning something unlawful.

Please come forward and assist your police service in bringing these offenders to justice.

The incident is the second robbery to occur at the bank in less than a year. Last July two masked men attempted an armed raid at the branch, but left empty handed.

Anyone with information which may aid the investigation is urged to contact DC Hyland on 101 quoting incident number 44160079706, or to call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Wessex Scene will update this story as more information becomes available.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.