At Least Two Instances of Rape Every Week in Southampton

0

There are at least two reports of rape or attempted rape a week in Southampton, Wessex Scene has learned from a Freedom of Information request to Hampshire Constabulary.

Between 1st September 2015 and February 15th, there were 49 recorded offences of rape of a male or female aged 16 or over, and attempted rape of a female aged 16 or over, in the policing district of Southampton.

This is an average of two a week, or one every 3 and half days.

The policing district of Southampton covers the areas of Portswood (which includes Highfield), Bargate, Bevois, Peartrees & Woolston, Sholing & Bitterne, Bitterne North, Shirley & Fremantle, and Coxford, Redbridge & Millbrook.

UK wide approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year, but only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police.

If you’ve been affected by this please contact Nightline on 02380 595236, or contact the advice centre by emailing advice@susu.org or phoning 02380 592085 or visit http://rapecrisis.org.uk.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.