SUHC Take 1st Place in Annual Chase Walk Competition

0

Southampton University Hillwalking Club (SUHC) has won the annual national Chase Walk competition.

The Chase Walk is a 38.2 mile walking race held at Cannock Chase, Staffordshire. On Saturday 19th March the national competition, hosted by the Scouts, saw 88 teams compete from across the country to complete the course in the fastest time.

SUHC entered two teams of four this year. The winning team, Southampton Speeders, were not only the fastest team overall, with a time of 9 hours and 23 minutes, but also came home with the “Crutch Trophy”, awarded to the fastest team with at least one member over 25, and beat the club’s previous record.

The second team “Southampton Sloths” also did well, winning the “Knot Trophy” for the fastest team of people who have never competed before, completing the race in 11 hours 48 minutes.

Former SUHC President and Chase participant Owen Johnson has added ”Congratulations to both groups, who with hard work and an excellent team effort have secured very good results, building on the results from previous years.”

For the complete table of results see the organiser’s website.

For more information about SUHC and how to get involved, go to https://www.facebook.com/groups/SotonHillwalking/ or email walking@soton.ac.uk

News Editor 2016-2017 and History student. Lover of travel, fashion, adventure, good books and 'bad' food.