UPDATE: Petition Launched To Save Junk From Closure

0

An online petition has been launched to save the popular Junk nightclub from potential closure.

The club has been at the centre of a number of recent violent incidents, including a multiple stabbing on 22nd January which closed the venue for 24 hours during police investigations.

Southampton City Council announced a review of the club’s licence yesterday which could lead to the venue being closed if its licence is withdrawn. Hampshire Police are calling for the licence to be suspended, accusing Junk’s management team of not being ‘strong enough’ to deal with violent and dangerous incidents.  Junk’s Designated Premises Supervisor, Wes Leigh, later refuted these claims in a statement published on the club’s Facebook page.

Fans and supporters of the venue have now launched an online petition calling on the council’s licencing team to save it from closure. The petition, which has already been signed over 1,700 times, describes Junk as ‘an institution for underground dance music on the South Coast’ and condemns accusations surrounding the club’s safety as having ‘no basis in fact’.

One signatory wrote:

Clubs like Junk play a big part in attracting people and business to their cities. Through it’s constant featuring in the national music press it has consistently kept Southampton on the music map and its loss would irreparably damage the city’s music community and the city’s ability to bring music fans from outside the city/country to Southampton…

Violent offences on Junk’s door step point more fingers at the local council and police force’s ability to curb drink related violence and crime in the area than they do on Junk’s ability to uphold safety inside the club. I myself have watched live CCTV of drunken related behaviour on the street outside the venue, completely unrelated to the club by persons who were not at any point in the club, and observed Junk’s security working with the police in any ways they could.

The public are able to make a comment on the review of the club’s licence until 11th April. The review hearing will take place on 5th May

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.