Uber Launches in Southampton

0

The taxi firm Uber has launched in Southampton.

Already operating in several UK locations, Southampton is the latest UK city to incorporate the discount taxi company, with the firm going live in Southampton at 4pm today.

By booking a vehicle through their app, users can save approximately 10-15% compared to normal taxi firms, and users can track the progress of their assigned car using the app.

According to the company, a journey from Highfield Campus to Bedford Place will cost £5.40, compared to £6.20 for a conventional taxi service.

Fred Jones, Uber’s general manager for UK expansion, said that

We’re really excited to be launching in Southampton. Over 27,000 people in the city have opened the app in the last 90 days, so we know there is real demand for the service here.

Around 200 drivers have registered their interest in working for their company, with most applicants being existent taxi drivers.

Uber taxis have to be registered by Southampton City council, and the drivers still face the same registration checks as traditional taxi drivers.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver