Southampton Law Student Wins Place On World Merit 360 Programme

0

A final year Southampton law student has won a place on the prestigious World Merit 360 programme run by the United Nations.

Victoria Akintomide, who is in her final year of studies at Southampton Law School, beat thousands of other applicants to obtain a place on the initiative, during which she will work with other delegates at the UN headquarters in New York to create youth-led initiatives intended to help achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development goals.

Victoria has been assigned to a section focusing on development goal 16, which aims to promote peace, justice and the creation of strong global institutions.

She commented:

I was inspired to apply for the programme while taking the Public International Law module this academic year. I wanted to explore how I could put into practise the things that I have learnt within the course. I applied and was fortunate to be selected amongst thousands of applications.

Professor Hazel Biggs, Head of Southampton Law School, said:

I am delighted that Victoria has been successful in achieving a place on this prestigious programme. It is great to know that her studies in the Law School have inspired her to apply to the programme, and that it will set her on a path to future leadership.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.