FemSoc Stage Sleep-Out to Raise Money for Southampton Rape Crisis

0

Tonight, FemSoc are staging a sleep-out in order to raise money for Southampton Rape Crisis.

In what is their third annual event, members of the society will stay out on the Redbrick for 12 hours, from 6pm to 6am, with an initial target of raising £1500, all to support this local charity.

Southampton Rape Crisis helps individuals of all genders who are over the age of 11 who have had any unwanted sexual experience, as well as going out into the community and raising awareness.

FemSoc President Natalie Rowell commented that:

Southampton Rape Crisis are a really amazing organisation who work in the local area. We chose this charity because the issue of sexual assault will unfortunately not go away. In addition to this, it is greatly under-reported for men and those who identify as non-binary. As we’re inter-sectional, raising awareness for this particular issue is really important.

Hampshire currently has one of the highest reported rates of rape and sexual assault in the UK, and Southampton Rape Crisis is the only specialist service in the Southampton area. Due to a lack of funding, there is currently a waiting list for counselling. If you would like to donate to the campaign, you can do so here, and be sure to pop down to the redbrick and give as much as you can!

When asked how they were going to keep themselves occupied all night, Natalie told us: ‘Board games, and lots of them’.

If you would like to know more about the work Southampton Rape Crisis do, you can check them out here.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver