Permission Granted for New Building on Highfield Campus

0

The University of Southampton has obtained planning permission for a new learning and teaching centre on Highfield Campus.

The £24 million building, which will be based next to the Highfield Interchange on Salisbury Road, will boast a 250-seat lecture theatre, a computer suite, a range of seminar rooms and a cafe. An artist’s impression can be viewed at the top of the page.

The seven-storey building won’t belong to any particular faculty, but will be used as a common space for all faculties to take advantage of.

In addition, improvements around the Salisbury Road area (close to the Nightingale and Mountbatten buildings) will be part of the project.

The upcoming construction of this building can be seen as a response to the University’s rapid increase in students, with over 600 freshers being forced to stay in private accommodation this year alone.

Furthermore, there has been a national shift away from traditional lecture-based learning, and the construction of this new space reflects this.

Preparatory works are scheduled to begin in July, with the building scheduled to open in 2019.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver