Chris Froome Stages Bike Ride From Highfield Campus

0

Two-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome staged an impromptu cycle ride from Highfield campus at the University of Southampton today.

As part of the preparations for his summer of cycling, he was at utilising the wind tunnel at the University to test his bike, and then decided to invite local cyclists for a ride towards Winchester, starting off outside the Student Union.

The ride itself was organised by his cycling team, Team Sky, with some of over the 200 participating cyclists calling him ‘inspirational’, and a ‘great guy’.

Froome himself said that:

Participation in cycling has exploded recently and I thought it would be a really good thing to get people on their bikes. I didn’t think many would turn up, I was expecting about 20 people and seeing this many people is just incredible. This is really exciting and it is a good way to interact with fans!

Southampton University Cycling Club of course could not pass up on the opportunity to ride with such a world-class cyclist, with Andrew Lockwood, a fourth-year chemist, saying that it was:

A once in a life time opportunity to ride and talk with a true cycling legend who’s at the top of their game

Froome recently received an OBE from Buckingham Palace for his services to cycling.

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver