#MACFEST: Mac Campbell Was Twice Over the Drink-Drive Limit Before Fatal Crash

0

The person whose death resulted in the organisation of a tribute festival – #macfest – was twice over the drink-drive limit, and on the wrong side of the road, it has emerged.

20-year-old Macaulay Campbell, commonly known as Mac, was a popular local rugby player who had been out celebrating his performance with friends. When tested, it was found that he had 172mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood in his system, more that double the 80mg limit.

The inquest into his death heard that he messaged his girlfriend earlier that evening stating that ‘he had too many drinks to drive’, yet when she offered him a lift he said he was unsure of his plans for that evening.

At approximately 22:25, his Volkswagen Lupo, which was found on the wrong side of the road, had hit a BMW.

The driver of the hit BMW, Mark Penn-Newman, revealed to the inquest that ‘the car was on my side of the road, I couldn’t even flinch as there was no time to react – I was driving along and there was darkness, then headlights, then a bang. It was that quick’.

Investigator Michaela Mehigan said alcohol was a major factor in the accident and its presence in his system hindered his judgement of speed, judgement and ability to react, but she could not explain why he was on the wrong side of the road.

Senior coroner Grahame Short recorded a verdict of death due to road traffic collision, stating that ‘It was clearly Mac’s decision to drive, he should have known not to drive when he left the clubhouse.’

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver