Southampton Falls In League Table

0

The University of Southampton has fallen two places in the Guardian’s 2017 University League Table.

Falling to 16th position from 14th in last year’s table, the University has dropped just over one ‘point’ in its total score out of 100.

Despite this, the only category in which the University did worse this year than last was the ‘spend per student category‘. Greater improvements by other Universities can therefore partially explain Southampton’s fall in the tables.

Despite the University falling two places in the overall table, the University’s Electronic Engineering department was ranked the best in the country, and the University was ranked in the top 10 for the following subject areas: Civil Engineering (2nd), Modern Languages (4th), Physics (4th), Education (4th), Film Studies (4th), Mechanical Engineering (8th), Art (8th), Fashion (8th), Philosophy (8th), Health Professions (8th), Medicine (9th), Psychology (9th), Computer Science (10th) and Music (10th).

This year’s list is headed by the University of Cambridge, and is closely followed by Oxford, St Andrews and the University of Surrey – which our new Vice-Chancellor, Sir Christopher Snowden, left last year.

Surprises in the table include Manchester placing at 31st, Bristol placing at 38th and Royal Holloway placing at 45th.

Southampton Solent University has risen 14 places to 100th, and Glyndwr University props up the table in 119th place, having fallen 19 places.

Every University that was ranked above Southampton can be viewed below and the full table can be viewed here.

file-page1

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver