Norway’s Ambitious Plans for Carbon-Neutrality

2

In light of agreements made at the Paris Climate Agreement in December 2015, Norway aims to become the first carbon neutral country in the world by 2030; pushed forward 20 years from the original goal of 2050, provided other countries also achieve their agreed targets.

Norway aims to achieve this by banning all deforestation in an attempt to implement a carbon dioxide balance in the atmosphere, as well as prohibiting the sale of all fossil-fuel cars, a potentially jarring decision as the Norweigan economy renders great profit from the petroleum industry.

However, already 24% of cars in the Scandinavian country are fuelled by electricity, and an impressive 99% of the electricity supply is provided solely by hydropower. Not stopping there, Norway aims to maximise its use of wind power, pledging to triple its capacity for it in four years, following a £2 billion investment three years ago.

The Paris Agreement’s overall aim is to limit the warming of the planet to significantly below two degrees Celsius above pre-industrial revolution levels, and Norway is well on its way to setting an example to the other countries in the agreement.

EDIT: Bhutan was actually the first country to deplete carbon dioxide emissions below the rate of its absorption- in fact, it is not only carbon-neutral, but carbon-negative. Thanks James!

Travel, Features and Sport sub-editor 2016/17. Second year Biology with Linguistics student. Interested particularly in molecular biology, genetics and brain disease and disorders. Very disposed towards writing about things that haven't quite been explained yet.

Norway wont be the first carbon neutral country, Bhutan was the first, and is actually carbon negative. But none the less this is great news!