Missing Dorset Climber Named As University of Southampton Student

0

A missing climber who disappeared overnight in Dorset has been named as University of Southampton student Liam Day.

Dorset Police, HM Coastguard and Dorset Search and Rescue Service began a search for the 26 year old last night after he did not return home as expected from a trip to Swanage. According to Dorset Police, he may have been deep water climbing – a technique which involves using a rope to lower oneself down a cliff face and climbing back up with no support.

His car was later found on Durlston Road in Dorset (near to Durlston Country Park), while some climbing equipment that belonged to him was located a mile to the west of Anvil Point. Coastguard and Police helicopters continued to search for the climber this morning but have so far found no trace.

Mr Day was described by Police as ‘white, five feet nine inches tall and of slim build’. He is bald with blue eyes and a ginger beard. His family have been informed of his disappearance.

Detective Chief Inspector Bob Acaster of Dorset Police told the Daily Echo:

The man told his partner he was going climbing for the day but he failed to return home as normal.

Every indication is that he did indeed go climbing on his own and we are very concerned that he may have come to some harm.

It is possible that he may have gone deep water climbing which typically involves using a rope to lower down the cliff and then climbing back up unsupported.

I am appealing to anyone who was in the Swanage area yesterday and saw a man climbing the cliffs or in the Durlston Road area to please contact Dorset Police.

Coastguard Rescue Teams from Swanage and St Albans, two Swanage RNLI lifeboats and the Coastguard Search and Rescue Helicopter based at Lee on Solent conducted an extensive air, sea and land search of the area and were stood down at around 8am today, pending any further information.

Anyone with information that may assist in the search for Liam is encouraged to call Dorset Police on 101, quoting incident number 15:04.

Wessex Scene will update this story as more information becomes available.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.