Southampton Ranked Among Europe’s Most Innovative Universities

0

The University of Southampton has been named one of Europe’s 100 most innovative universities in new rankings published by news agency Thomson Reuters.

Southampton was ranked 77th and was one of 17 UK universities to appear in the results, which aim to identify the institutions doing most to drive the global economy and advance new technologies and scientific research.

Don Spalinger, Director of Research and Innovation Services at the University of Southampton, commented:

It’s an honour for Southampton to be amongst the most prestigious research-intensive universities across Europe.

We are collaborating with hundreds of partners across Europe with a substantial portion of our research income flowing from Europe. We work with corporate, health and public sector partners to ensure our research creates social impacts that are changing the world for the better.

Southampton is a founding member of SETsquared, the global number one university business incubator. We have developed a game-changing programme, ICURe (Innovation and Commercialisation of University Research) that, in its pilot stages, is already producing results, taking our research out of the lab and into the global economy.

The rankings were compiled by Thomson Reuters’ IP and Science division, which identified more than 600 global organisations that published the most academic research (including charities and government funded labs as well as educational institutions). Each organisation was then assessed on 10 different metrics, focusing on academic papers (basic research) and patent filings (ability to apply and commercialise research). The list was then reduced so that it only included European universities, which were ranked based on their performance.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.