Angela Eagle Could Face Constituency Vote Of No Confidence

0

Labour Leadership hopeful and Wallasey MP Angela Eagle could face a vote of no confidence in her consituency after her decision to challenge Jeremy Corbyn for the party leadership.

Ms Eagle formally launched her bid for the leadership earlier today after talks between Deputy Leader Tom Watson and Labour-supporting trade unions broke down. At her campaign launch event she claimed she could provide the leadership needed by the party and bring unity to a ‘divided and uncertain’ country.

The Independent revealed today that Ms Eagle’s Wallasey constituency, which had previously voted overwhelmingly in support of Mr Corbyn’s leadership, will debate a motion of no confidence in Ms Eagle later this week.

Paul Davies, vice-chair of the Wallasey Constituency Labour Party, told the BBC’s Today programme:

There is a motion to that effect and I am sure that will be a debate at our next meeting on the 22nd…I can’t possibly say what all 1,200 people think – but it’s going to be a very lively debate.

Ms Eagle was previously a member of Mr Corbyn’s frontbench team until she resigned from her position as Shadow Business Secretary in protest at Mr Corbyn’s leadership of the party after Britain voted to leave the EU in the referendum held on 23rd June.

International Editor 2015-17. Third year French & Spanish student currently spending a year studying abroad in Concepción, Chile. Interested in media and world news.