BREAKING: Cabinet Reshuffle

0

Michael Gove has been sacked as Justice Secretary in Theresa May’s new cabinet, to be replaced by Liz Truss. In her first full day in Downing Street, May dramatically reshuffles her cabinet.

Michael Gove, after ditching Boris Johnson and making his own bid for the Conservative leadership, has now been sacked as Justice Secretary in Theresa May’s cabinet reshuffle. Liz Truss is now Justice Secretary. This quote came from No. 10:

The Queen has been pleased to approve the appointment of Rt Hon Liz Truss MP as the first female Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice.

Education Secretary Nicky Morgan has also left, as well as John Wittingdale who was the Culture Secretary. Justine Greening has now taken over the position of Education Secretary, the first Tory MP in that position to be educated at a comprehensive.

Oliver Letwin, the cabinet office minister, has also been sacked.

Gavin Williamson has been confirmed to become chief whip, a big promotion from his previous post as David Cameron’s parliamentary private secretary.

Jeremy Hunt is confirmed to stay as Health Secretary, after reports he could be moving posts within the cabinet. He took to twitter to express his amusement at the speculation that he could be sacked, and to rejoice that he had kept his current post:

Michael Fallon has stayed on as Defence Secretary, and Alun Cairns retains his post as Welsh Secretary. David Mundell remains Scottish Secretary.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin has been confirmed as the new Conservative Party chairman.

Baroness Evans has been announced as the new leader of the House of Lords, after being in the House of Lords for less than two years.

Theresa Villiers has resigned from her post as Northern Ireland Secretary. When leaving she stated that:

I regret to say that I have left the Government. The new Prime Minister was kind enough to offer me a role but it was not one which I felt I could take on.

Villiers’ replacement is James Brokenshire, after having worked with Theresa May at the Home Office as Immigration Minister.

Stephen Crabb has also resigned from government, leaving his post as Work and Pensions Secretary, after already losing out to Theresa May in the leadership contest.

Chris Grayling has gained the post of Transport Secretary, with Damian Green as the new Work and Pensions Secretary after Crabb’s exit. Sajid Javid is the new Communities Secretary, with Greg Clarke taking over the post of Business, Energy and Industrial Secretary.

Priti Patel is the new International Development Secretary. Karen Bradley, a former Home Office minister, is the new Culture Secretary.

David Gauke is the new Chief Secretary to the Treasury, and David Lidington becomes Leader of the House of Commons. Jeremy Wright remains in post as Attorney General.

In one of the most significant turn of events, Andrea Leadsom, Theresa May’s previous leadership rival, has been appointed Environment Secretary. This means that Leadsom, as one of the prominent Vote Leave campaigners, will be responsible for working with farmers, the group that has most to lose in terms of subsidies from Brexit.

Yesterday we saw Boris Johnson become Foreign Secretary, Phillip Hammond became Chancellor, Amber Rudd Home Secretary, and David Davis took on the new position of Brexit Secretary.

This also include some possible departmental changes in Whitehall. There are already obvious changes with the creation of a new ‘Brexit’ department, and Liam Fox’s new role as International Trade Secretary. However, further and higher education are returning to the Department of Education from Business, Innovation and Skills. BIS is possibly to become the Business, Energy and Industry Department, which raises questions about the future of the DECC Department.

The Telegraph’s Christopher Hope has speculated about the departmental changes in a series of tweets:

No. 10 has confirmed that the Education Department is going to be enlarged, with new responsibilities and staff from the BIS Department moving to Education. This quote was released earlier today to explain that the department will now take responsibility for:

reforming the higher education sector to boost competition and continue to improve the quality of education that students receive; and

delivering more apprenticeships through a fundamental change in the UK’s approach to skills in the workplace.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated as the story progresses.

Sub-Editor for the Wessex Scene 2016/17. English and History student