Southampton Student Shaves Hair Off to Help Fight Blood Cancer

0

Today Southampton student, Samuel Tyler, has had his hair shaven off by hairdresser Toni & Guy to raise funds for blood cancer charity Anthony Nolan. 

Samuel had his hair shaven off to raise money for Anthony Nolan at the Covent Garden branch of Toni & Guy free of charge. His decision to have his head shaven for this particular cause follows the selection of Anthony Nolan as the charity that a team of ten Civil Service interns, of which Samuel is one, will support. Samuel is currently undertaking an internship in the Ministry of Justice and the team of interns are also planning to host a raffle later this month to raise further funds for Anthony Nolan.

Speaking to the Scene, Samuel has said ”I am very proud to be shaving my hair off for such a worthy cause. To me, shaving my hair off is more a symbol of solidarity with the people who suffer from cancers, including leukaemia. When cancer patients face side-effects like nausea, vomiting and infertility from undergoing chemotherapy to try and stay alive, it puts into perspective just how much we take our lives for granted”.

Samuel in the middle of his shave. Credit: Samuel Tyler

Samuel’s team have thus far raised £230.00 over the space of four days through his head shaving.

Anthony Nolan saves the lives of people with blood cancer, such as leukaemia, by using its register to match stem cell donors to patients with blood cancer and blood disorders in need of transplants. The charity also carries out research to increase stem cell transplant success and supports patients through their transplant journeys.

Jessica Stoate, Community Fundraiser at Anthony Nolan, has said, ‘The fundraising that these Civil Service interns are doing makes such a big difference to people with blood cancer. It costs £60 to recruit each person to the Anthony Nolan register, so fundraising is a vital part of our lifesaving work. The more fundraising we do, the more potential donors we can recruit onto the stem cell register, and the more lives we can save.’

Samuel is a History undergraduate and also a News Editor for the Wessex Scene. You can sponsor Samuel’s hair shaving at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/sdip-antnolanfunds-samsheadshave.

You can find out more about Anthony Nolan’s work at https://www.anthonynolan.org/ .

Photo: Samuel Tyler
The team’s initial poster. Credit: Samuel Tyler

News Editor 2016-2017 and History student. Lover of travel, fashion, adventure, good books and 'bad' food.