£11 Million Pound Student Complex to Open in Portswood

0

Final permission has been granted to open an £11 million pound student complex within the next 2 years on Portswood Road –  just opposite the B&Q Superstore.

The housing complex will contain roughly 200 flats split between 2 large 6-storey buildings. The buildings will be connected via a glass walkway. The developers, Urban Study, have revealed that the complex will also house a cinema, a gym, and a laundry facility.

John Freeman, an architect from the project, said that the flats will

“contain high quality student amenity space comprising a variety a lounge space environments, study rooms, communal kitchen area, laundry, cinema room and gym facilities. In addition the scheme will provide quality outdoor spaces and an amenity roof terrace accessed via the ground floor lounge area. Urban Study are proud to present this project as an exemplar scheme which brings together the best in urban regeneration and high quality student living.”

He also mentioned that the complex will allow and encourage students to engage with one another. He claims that the complex will create a social community of students which allows them to have both shared social spaces along with their ability to control their own personal living spaces. The aim of the development is to deliver a luxurious learning and social environment for its residents.

There have been a number of complaints about the building being constructed. One resident living nearby complained that having two large buildings either side of Portswood Road will give it a “claustrophobic, narrow canyon-like effect.” The resident also mentioned that this development is “inappropriate and intrusive” as far too many students have invaded the Swaythling area.

Freeman commented: “

We’ve viewed this as a co-ordinated piece of townscape design. It’s not one side competing against another.”

Construction work is to begin in January and the project should be completed by April 2018, meaning it will be open for students to live in beginning in September 2018 when the next year of university begins.

Wessex Scene will keep you updated as this story progresses.

Wessex Scene Online Manager 2015-2016, Head of Design 2016-2017