Jon Sopel Appointed University of Southampton Pro-Chancellor

0

Journalist and broadcaster, Jon Sopel, has been appointed Pro-chancellor of the University of Southampton. His role will take immediate effect. 

Jon Sopel will be deputy to Chancellor Dame Helen Alexander. His role will include presiding over graduation ceremonies and playing a role in the future development of the university.

The university news blog states:

Sopel will also play a key ambassadorial role for Southampton through activities linked to the University’s strategy.

Sopel graduated from the University of Southampton with a BSc in Politics and Sociology (He also used to write for Wessex Scene!). Since, he has has a distinguished career at the BBC, including presenting the Politics Show and the BBC News Channel. He currently serves as North America Editor based in Washington DC.

“I’m very pleased to have been invited by the Vice-Chancellor and President, Sir Christopher Snowden, to become Pro-Chancellor at Southampton,”

said Sopel, who was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Letters by the University in 2011.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a student at Southampton and continue to engage regularly with the University so I’m very excited by the prospect of representing this world-leading institution more formally as I carry out my duties in the years to come.”

Wessex Scene Editor 2016-17 and Features Editor 2015-2016. History Student, Blog writer (http://emeraldalice.blogspot.co.uk/) and traveller. Student Brand Ambassador for the i Paper 2015-2016. Tea lover, cat enthusiast. @Alicetotheskies