New Crackdown on TV Licenses from BBC Could Trap Students

0

As of right now, if you want to catch the next episode of Sherlock you will need a TV License. What kind of post-Brexit madness is this?

From the 1st September 2016, if you’re planning on using BBC iPlayer on any device to watch or download shows without a licence, you could be risking prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Shut the front door!

Students beware: that’s a whole lot of cash just to see Mary Berry rip into someone’s limp biscuit. But thankfully, only iPlayer is affected by this; Netflix, ITV Player, All4 etc. remain unchanged by the legislation update.

Naturally, some students are outraged. The cost of a normal TV licence is in the region of £145 for a year, which many think is an unreasonable cost just to watch a couple of hour long shows a week.

However, worry not. Your parents’ licence can cover you whilst at university, SO LONG AS you’re on a device which is powered solely by its own internal batteries, and not connected to the mains.

Unfortunately, this could be the beginning of our own Big Brother reality show, as the BBC is entitled to use powers under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 to survey the homes of people it suspects are watching BBC content.

For more FAQs for students visit: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/student-tv-licence?WT.mc_id=r107