Crew Member Dead after Accident on World’s Largest Cruise Liner

0

An accident on-board the world’s largest cruise liner has left one dead and four more seriously injured.

The Harmony of the Seas, owned by cruise company Royal Caribbean, was on a stop-over in the French port of Marseille when a safety drill went wrong when a lifeboat became detached from the main vessel.

The lifeboat fell 10 metres (33 feet) from the fifth deck into the sea. Two of the four injured crew members have life-threatening injuries.

A spokesman for Royal Caribbean said: “We are sorry to share the sad news that a crew member aboard Harmony of the Seas has died of injuries suffered during a lifeboat drill conducted while docked at the port of Marseille, France. Four other crew members received medical treatment in the same incident. We are keeping our colleagues and their families in our thoughts and prayers.”

The ship entered service on the 29th May 2016 when it visited Southampton, her maiden voyage was from Southampton to Barcelona. After completing a series of short-haul journeys around the Western Mediterranean, the ship is due to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean in October.

The 227,000 tonne vessel cost over £770 million to build and can carry more than 6700 passengers and 2300 crew.

News Editor 2015/16