Gender theory a ‘moral problem’, says Pope Francis

His Holiness Pope Francis has blamed schools for teaching gender theory, describing it as a ‘moral problem’ and ‘against the natural things’.

His comments come after learning that a boy, aged 10 years, told his father that we wanted to be a girl when he was older. Many people have taken to social media to express their thoughts on the Pope’s remarks especially after he commented that the teaching of gender theory was “ideological colonisation”, as part of a global war on marriage that was being fought not with weapons but rather with ideas.

As the New York Times reports, Pope Francis’ remarks have triggered disappointment amongst LGBT groups. This comes in contrast to reports from the Washington Post which indicate the liberal views which have supposedly angered more conservative members of the Roman Catholic Church.

Marianne Duddy-Burke, the executive director of DignityUSA, a leading organization of LGBT Catholics, told NYT: “It’s very troubling that the pope would say this

“It also shows that the pope doesn’t understand the danger that his words can mean for gender-nonconforming people, particularly those who live in countries with laws or cultural pressures that put these people at risk for violence.”.

Aspiring journalist? The Wessex Scene are recruiting News Writers. For more details come to our meeting and training session. Alternatively, contact us at