Students Launch Petition for Second WSA Shuttle Bus

Students at the University of Southampton have launched a petition calling on the University to operate a second shuttle bus for Winchester School of Art.

The petition, initiated by Fashion Marketing and Management student Navi Ahluwalia and her housemate Maxine Ntambwe, has already received 80 signatures since it launched yesterday.

This petition highlights that the current WSA Shuttle Bus service runs with only one vehicle which operates from both sites every two hours.

Navi Ahluwalia, one of the authors of the petition, told the Wessex Scene“I think it’s ridiculous that WSA students are made to feel so isolated…

“For the university to think that just one 14 seater shuttle bus (that runs every two hours) is acceptable is just beyond me.”

The current timetable for the WSA Shuttle Bus | Credit: Union Southampton

The petition claims that student demands for the service are not satisfactorily met with “countless students… unable to access this free facility” with many being forced to use alternative methods of transport such as railway or local buses to travel the 13 mile journey to Winchester.

Union President Alex Hovden told the Wessex Scene: “We were incredibly disappointed when we learnt that the University would have to shelve the plans for a second shuttle bus.

“I have personally raised the matter with the President and Vice-Chancellor of the University and there seems to be an agreement that something should be done.

“I am hopeful that this petition will increase the urgency with which this can be resolved and we as the Union will continue to use all lobbying channels to #GetAnotherBus!”

What are your thoughts on the frequency of the WSA Shuttle Bus? Will you be signing the petition? Let us know in the comments below.