University of Southampton to Raise Tuition Fees

The university  has confirmed that they will be raising tuition fees to £9,250 for undergraduate students starting in the academic year 2017/18.

This rise in fees has been put into motion after the government announced their plans for the future of higher education. According to the Teaching Excellence Framework, universities will be ranked Gold, Silver and bronze, and this will dictate how much the universities can raise their fees.

On the university blog, they said

“We are fully committed to ensuring a sustainable future for the University, in which we can continually invest to enhance the student experience, attract the most talented students and provide further opportunities for students from disadvantaged backgrounds to benefit from a Southampton education”.

Eligibility, as said by the universities and sciences minister Jo Johnson, is based on the university having a ‘Meets Expectations’ rating, and an access agreement agreed to by the Office For Fair Access. As the university meets these criteria, they are going to raise fees to the maximum of £9,250 – a far cry from the years of £3,000.

The fees cannot raise until the Higher Education and Research Bill is approved by Parliament. It is currently in the committee stages at the House of Commons and is yet to be read by the House of Lords. More information can be found here.

Second year PAIR student and live editor. Fan of cats, tea lover, can be found rambling about politics and cats at @_Carly_May on Twitter.