FemSoc Organise ‘Reclaim the Night’ March

0

Southampton University’s Feminist Society are organising a peaceful protest march through Southampton’s streets this Saturday to tackle issues surrounding gender-based violence and street harassment.

The march is scheduled to travel through key ares of the city such as St. Mary’s Stadium, through the nearby park and down Bedford Place. The society identifies these as the places where sexual assault is more common and where people feel the most at risk to such crimes.

The itinerary of events | Credit: Samuel Tyler
The itinerary of events | Credit: FemSoc

In a statement, FemSoc said: “The idea is to empower those who do usually feel unwelcome, to give them a voice and a place on city streets at night…

“This is a wonderful opportunity to give to those people to make a noise and get heard.”

The Reclaim the Night march draws its heritage from torch-lit marches through various UK cities in November 1977 as a response to take collective action against male sexual violence towards women around the time of the terror of the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe.

The Southampton FemSoc ‘Reclaim the Night’ march is gender inclusive to all people, binary or non-binary.

The march is scheduled to start at 19:30 this Saturday from outside Solent Spark Building on East Park Terrace. The march will also include other events including a Speaker’s Event from local poetry work. More details can be found here.