Missing Southampton Student Confirmed to Have Died After Plunging Into Sea

0

Liam Day, a Southampton Medical Student and avid climber died from hypothermia after plunging into the sea, an inquest heard

The inquest also heard that Liam died while taking part in Deep Water Solo Climbing in Purbeck, Dorset last June. The sea was just 12 degrees celsius at the time of the tragic incident.

It was also noted at the inquest that he was unable to survive in the sea given that the standard temperature is colder in June than October, the Daily Echo reports.

Deep Water Solo Climbing involves the partaker abseiling down the cliff face before attempting to climb upwards unaided. This would enable the partaker to fall into water rather than rocks.

Liam, 26, was missing for 13 days before his body was eventually recovered by a fisherman on the 28th June at 12:30.

Liam was reported missing when he did not return home to Southampton from his day in Purbeck on the 15th June.

Dorset Police, joined by HM Coastguard and Dorset Search & Rescue Service, searched throughout the night to find Liam, but the search was called off after 20 hours.

At the time, Chief Inspector Bob Acaster, of Dorset Police, said: “The man told his partner he was going climbing for the day but he failed to return home as normal.”

“Every indication is that he did indeed go climbing on his own and we are very concerned that he may have come to some harm.”