RAG Jailbreak Raises Over £5000

0

RAG raised an estimated £5400 during Jailbreak 2016.

The 36-hour fundraising event, in which teams of students attempt to get as far away from Southampton without spending any money, saw the winning team get to The Gambia and the runners-up reach Gran Canaria.

RAG member and Jailbreak organiser, Jarvis Stanton, says: “It was an incredible two days that raised a huge amount of money for three very worthy causes.

“A massive thank you to all the participants, volunteers and everyone who donated to the teams.”

The event required a minimum of £150 worth of fundraising by the 26 teams before the actual jailbreak.

The teams left from the Students’ Union at 09:00 on Saturday 19th November, with RAG volunteers tracking their every move from the HQ the entire time. The Wessex Scene also live blogged the entire event and followed Team Brexit.

VP Engagement, Dan Varley, says: “Jailbreak is one of my favourite events, because it encourages students to get out of their comfort zone and go somewhere new in the name of charity.

“It’s amazing what our members have achieved and they’ll have some great stories to tell their friends as well as an extra stamp on their passport.”

The funds raised through Jailbreak will go towards RAG’s main charity sponsors this year: Action Against Hunger, Alzheimer’s Society and HCPT Group 170.