Southampton University Student Reaches City Internships Competition Finals

0

Southampton University Student, Tom Phipps, is part of a team of three UK university students who have reached the final for City Internships’ Global Explorer Program.

Tom is a second year Law student and one among three UK University undergraduate students who have reached the final. The other two team members, Cameron and Max, are students at the University of Exeter.

Tom’s team have compiled a video to advertise why they should win the places on the Global Explorer Program as opposed to their rival Iowa State University team.

Tom told the Wessex Scene“We’re all really excited! If we were to win, not only would it be a fantastic opportunity to explore more of the world, but the 8 week program will also help enhance our employability by teaching us real-world skills which cannot be learnt from a degree.

“We just need as much help as we can get between now and the 16th December!”

The team's competition poster | Credit: Tom Phipps
The team’s competition poster | Credit: Tom Phipps

In the video, Tom’s team detail how, in 2013, they visited Cambodia and supported the education of impoverished children in fundamental life skills.

In 2014 the team built Allumez, reportedly the highest-earning student company in Surrey.

While studying at university, the team have won funding to launch an app and are now bidding to learn skills which cannot be taught in the classroom on the Global Explorer Programme.

To win, Tom and his team require the most likes on their video by the 16th December. Their video can be viewed here.

For the Global Explorer Programme, students may choose between New York, Washington D.C., Boston, Miami, Chicago, Austin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Paris, Hong Kong or Sydney as regions to undertake their internship.