Student Group to Launch Kit to Encourage Students to Reduce Plastic Waste

0

Student enterprise group EthiCo is to launch a kit this year aimed at encouraging students to produce less plastic waste.

The EthiCo Essentials Pack will comprise of a FairTrade cotton tote bag, recycled plastic water bottle, sustainably sourced stationery set, recycled A4 paper pad and a biodegradable bamboo toothbrush.

The start-up was founded in early 2017 and already sells a re-usable coffee cup (aimed at reducing the 2.5 billion disposable cups which are thrown into landfill annually) both online and in SUSU’s Shop on Top on Highfield Campus.

A loyalty scheme has been launched which will entitle customers who bring an EthiCo cup or other reusable drinking vessel to university catering outlets to an additional stamp on their loyalty cards.

Discounts for those who bring reusable mugs are also available at both Costa Coffee and Prêt à Manger.

Ethico
Credit: Ethico

Maddie Cava-Beale, Ethico Co-Founder, told Wessex Scene:

EthiCo are group of students who have come together to reduce plastic waste on campus. We understand that although many students want this as well, it is time consuming and difficult to find ethically sourced products at an affordable price…

Our Essentials Pack…is our one stop shop for living sustainably on campus. It replaces disposable items with reusable ones and many of them are made from recycled materials… All [our products]are from ethically sourced suppliers and our tote bag is certified with the Fairtrade logo for the cotton and production. We are also one of the few people in the UK to sell a bamboo toothbrush that also contains bamboo fibres for the bristles rather than plastic. It is 100% plastic free.

EthiCo’s business plan won them £2,000 in funding from the university’s SEED Start-Up funding during the summer. More information about their goods and campaigns can be found on their website and Instagram profile.

Deputy Editor 2017-18, International Editor 2015-17. Languages student adjusting to being back in the UK after a year in Chile. Interested in Latin America, world news, media and politics.