Centenary Building Now Open on Highfield Campus

0

Last week, the University of Southampton opened to students and lecturers its new Centenary Building on Highfield Campus. Students returning to the university will remember the building was near-completion last year, having been undergoing construction since 2016.

Situated between the interchange and Salisbury road, the new seven-storey university building features common learning and independent study spaces and has been praised by students and staff alike for its β€˜amazing’ views on higher floors.

It has an 80 seat Harvard lecture theatre which is designed to provide a more intimate dynamic between lecturers and students. It also has an even larger 250 seat standard lecture hall.

The University of Southampton have commented:

the Centenary Building represents a substantial investment in learning and teaching facilities on the Highfield campus.

The building will be Building 100 on the campus map which, alongside its name, reflects the University’s 100-year anniversary of the Highfield site. Highfield Campus was opened in 1914, but no lectures could take place due to the outbreak of World War I.

Former News & Investigations Editor 2019-20. I'm a serial Netflix-binger, writer and big time radio nerd. I like politics and comedy (the two seem to be more blurred nowadays) as well as Sci-Fi and 'geek culture'. Video essays are my current obsession. Studying Natural Sciences at Uni of Southampton.