Southampton Researchers Announced as Future Leaders by UKRI

0

It was announced this week that Dr Christina Vanderwel and Dr Matt Ryan have been given prestigious fellowships to fund research by UKRI (United Kingdom Research and Innovation).

They will spend four years researching key contemporary societal issues through their UK Research and Innovation Future Leader Fellowships (FLFs).

According to the University:

”Dr Vanderwel’s research will investigate wind patterns around buildings and how this affects air quality in cities, while Dr Ryan’s project will fuse politics with machine learning to address polarisation and disengagement with politics. Their fellowships are worth £942,000 and £1.1m respectively.”

They are only 2 of 78 similar fellowships awarded to researchers across the country.

The University summarises their research:

“Dr Vanderwel’s research will investigate wind patterns around buildings and how this affects air quality in cities, while Dr Ryan’s project will fuse politics with machine learning to address polarisation and disengagement with politics. Their fellowships are worth £942,000 and £1.1m respectively.

Dr Ryan, Lecturer in Governance and Public Policy, will build a dashboard combining data from traditional surveys, crowdsourcing, and social media to create an early warning system to tell governments and citizens what people are talking about and what issues they should consult on before it is too late.”

I'm a Philosophy and Politics student. I write for The Edge and my own blog where I talk about music, film and theatre. News and Investigations Editor for Wessex Scene. An amateur performer and wine enthusiast.