'Secret Millionaire' to Visit University Monday in Charity Effort

0

Secret Millionaire Seema Sharma will join students camping out on the concourse this Monday night to raise money for a charity to support those living in the slums of Mumbai.

Seema Sharma featured on the channel 4 programme 'Slumdog Secret Millionaire' this January.

The event, SLUM IT, is intended to raise money for the slums in India through the charity APNALAYA, an organisation which helps children living in slums to form a better life through urban community development projects in Mumbai. The charity’s community aid encourages ordinary men and women to believe in themselves and their abilities to change their lives for the better.

Sharma, who appeared on the show in January this year, will accompany students overnight in a sleeping bag and cardboard box to help raise awareness for the cause. She will also be giving a presentation on the charity. Press coverage from the event is expected from the Daily Echo and possibly local TV stations.

The millionaire dentist, who is worth approximately £5 million, has also donated two designer handbags for the raffle to take place on the night. Other prizes include £50, Waitrose vouchers, wine, chocolate and beauty vouchers.

The event will feature live acoustic music and several acts from the Union’s Comedy society. Snacks and hot drinks will be provided. The film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’, and the episode of ‘Secret Millionaire’ that featured Sharma will also be screened on the night.

The event is sponsored by local Portswood Indian restaurant Ghandi, who have donated prizes for the event, paid for promotional T-shirts and donated 170 snacks to be sold on the night, with the proceeds to be donated to APANLAYA.

One of the organisers, Zoe Lewis said, ‘It started as a small idea late one night when my friend Genevieve Craig came to me and said that she saw ‘Slumdog Secret Millionaire’, and what is the feasibility of planning a sponsored sleep-out at Uni to raise money for the slums? It led to the pair of us scheming for the last two months how to make it a reality, having thousands of meetings with the union and RAG, and involving a group of our friends to pull of what is hopefully going to be a massively successful event!’

The English student continued: ’We are really exciting about it, and the response from the students so far is pretty cool – we have over 100 signed up!’

Zoe added that the event will be promoted all day at the May Fest on campus too.

For more information on the charity, check out their website:
http://www.apnalaya.org/index.html

To sign up or find out more about the event, visit the facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=378885690568&ref=ts