Hats Off to the Graduating Class of 2010

0

One Humanities Student Receiving her Graduation Certificate

Today will see the last of over 5000 students attend this year’s summer Graduation ceremonies after completing their studies at the University of Southampton.

That’s over 5000 students who have been freshers at the University, made friends, worriedly sat exams, rushed to get assignments in on time, and are now ready to enter the world outside University, equipped with a degree and all the extra life experience that accompanies three or more years at University.

For a week, graduating students have attended ceremonies held in the Turner Sims and the Nuffield Theatre, adorned in the traditional graduating dress of gowns and hoods, to collect their degree certificates representing time and hard-work spent in Southampton.

Seven distinguished figures from the fields of music, media, the arts, health and education also join this year graduating students, receiving honorary degrees for their outstanding personal achievements. These include BBC Defence Correspondent, Caroline Wyatt, and world-renowned Jazz musician, Courtney Pine.

Professor Don Nutbeam, Vice-Chancellor of the University, said: ‘It is a time of great celebration for the University, especially our students. It provides an opportunity for us to congratulate them on their achievements here at the University and to wish them well as they make the transition from student to graduate. In all our students’ accomplishments, both while they are with us and during their subsequent careers, their success reflects well on the Southampton experience and our place as one of the leading universities in the UK and the world.’

Addressing graduates directly, he said, ‘I am delighted to offer congratulations on the award of the University of Southampton degree.  This is a considerable achievement in itself, and one that I hope has been accompanied by experiences, friendships and memories that you will value throughout your life. We share in your pride and optimism for the future and wish you every success in the years to come.’

For many, the experience will be the climax of over seventeen years in full time education, and an opportunity for their academic achievements to be recognised.

The Wessex Scene would like to take this opportunity to congratulate all students graduating this summer from the University of Southampton, and wish them luck in their future endeavours.