‘Fire Extinguisher’ Suspect Arrested in Southampton

0

An 18-year-old man has been arrested in Southampton on suspicion of attempted murder, in connection with a fire extinguisher that was thrown from the roof of Millbank Tower during the protest last Wednesday. So far there is no indication that he was a student at either University in the city.

This is the second arrest in connection with the incident, following the detention of a student from Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. He has been released on bail for violent disorder.

The incident has become one of the most talked about of an eventful demonstration. However, while the actions of those who occupied the Millbank building are splitting opinion, the ‘fire-extinguisher moment’ has drawn universal condemnation. The response of the crowd was to boo angrily and chant to those on the roof to stop throwing items.

The fire extinguisher narrowly missed two police officers, brushing one’s back and hitting the other’s knee, according to senior officers. The suspect was arrested on Monday and has since been transferred to custody in London.

So far there have been 54 arrests in connection with the events last Wednesday, 10 of whom are said to be under-18. Several senior members of the lecturer’s union have signed a statement showing support for those arrested, while a second day of action is planned for Wednesday 24th November.