Talk On Palestine In Nuffield Lecture Theatre

6

Professor Mazin B. Qumsiyeh will give a lecture on ‘Popular Resistance in Palestine’ on Tuesday 1st March in Nuffield Lecture Theatre A at 18:00.

Professor Qumsiyeh teaches and researches in Bethlehem and Birzeit Universities in occupied Palestine and recently authored the book “Popular Resistance in Palestine: A History of Hope and Empowerment.”

The lecture will focus on the subject matter of the book, which was drawn from hundreds of original sources to provide “the most comprehensive history of civil resistance in Palestine.”

The poster for the talk states that “The Western media paint Palestinian resistance against Israeli occupation as exclusively violent: armed resistance, suicide bombings and rocket attacks. In reality these methods are the exception to what is a peaceful and creative resistance movement.”

The talk is free. For more information contact Dr S. M. Sharkh (suleiman@soton.ac.uk).

Is it really worth advertising the talk of a man who believes Israel chose the last US president? The farce becomes total when he asks us to be less stereotypical about muslims but doesn’t hesitate to assume all the jews are zionists…

Israel’s attitude on the matter of occupation can be highly criticized, but please save us the “All the arabs are nice and the bad zionists try to exterminate us” refrain. Hamas has more than enough blood on his hands to prove it.

Pete

This is ridiculous. The talk was honest and informative and didn’t at any stage “assume all Jews are zionists”. I think you should probably substantiate that point.
    And even if he were to say things you disagree with, what would be the value in refusing to advertise the talk? Or should only academics you agree with be advertised by the wessex scene?
    Have a look at http://qumsiyeh.com/ to read his work, rather than simply dismissing him.

Vincent

Well that’s in fact what I did before posting my first comment:
    http://www.qumsiyeh.org/illusionofchoice/

Saying the candidates in US presidential elections are chosen by Israel and the US zionist lobby… Do you seriously believe this?

What’s next? 9/11 was Mossad’s work?

Pete

I wouldn’t agree with every point he makes, although that article seems to make two points. 1. Presidential candidates in the US cannot be radical and 2. the Zionist lobby has a real influence on who is chosen and the policy they follow.
    Whether that is or isn’t true, I’m in no position to say. Although I think the influence of the zionist lobby is probably a more substantial issue than 9/11 conspiracy theories. The point is, right or wrong, that’s nowhere near enough to say we shouldn’t advertise the talk.
    And, again, he doesn’t say that all Jews are zionists. In fact he said the direct opposite in his lecture last night.

Professor Qumsiyeh is a Palestinian Christian, and the talk that he gave was not anywhere around Jews, Muslims or Christians, rather it was on the forms of resistance that the public can do against occupation, where in his view kids insisting to go to schools facing many check points is a form of resistance, and planting trees in your own land is a form of resistance.
    It would have been wiser to come to the talk and make the judgement after listening to the guy rather being unnecessarily too judgemental.

I was at this lecture and I was going to write an article on it but the time has passed… It was an interesting history of peaceful resistance but I think it was probably deleterious to his argument that:

“The Western media paint Palestinian resistance against Israeli occupation as exclusively violent: armed resistance, suicide bombings and rocket attacks. In reality these methods are the exception to what is a peaceful and creative resistance movement.”

That Qumsiyeh did not once, in a lecture of 90 minutes, even mention the name Hamas. How could he have possibly proved that statement with no mention of the violent resistance as well as the peaceful?

I think that he may have also trespassed onto Zionist conspiracy claims when he made unequivocal statements such as ‘The Jewish lobby brought the US into WW2 in exchange for the state of Israel,’ (made during the Q&A period)

I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of the Jewish lobby but claims such as these are extreme, at odds with the historical consensus and were not substantiated. Had he spent some time explaining the reasons for this belief this would not have been an issue for me.

Realising his depiction of Palestinian resistance to be somewhat hagiographic should not remove our attention from the erosion of Palestinian territory and civil rights or Israel’s oppressive and illegal pursuit of lebensraum.