Southampton Plays Host to ‘Big Bird’ Banner in National Campaign

0

Campus was taken over by 100 square foot banner this week, as the YES! To Fairer Votes campaign came to Southampton on Thursday.

The banner, known as the ‘Big Bird’, was used by the Southampton University campaign team for Yes! To Fairer Votes – encouraging people to vote yes in the Alternative Vote referendum in May.

The banner, which displays the campaign logo, has been touring across the United Kingdom and is well known for its appearance in Leicester Square in February earlier this year.

The event outside the Law building was filmed by SUSU tv and the clip will be hosted on youtube and the national campaign website in the same way the clip of Leicester Square was, and is expected to receive ‘extensive coverage, in the millions of people’ when the national campaign reaches it’s peak in May.

Jonathan Bates is the Co-ordinator for the Yes! To Fairer Votes at the University. He said: ‘promoting student talent and the positive message this campaign brings was a priority for us. As such, it was a fantastic success and opportunity for both us and SUSU tv. I would like to commend the work of SUSU tv as well as our volunteers. They all worked professionally and fantastically, and this will be evident when the video is released. It’s not every day you get to play with a huge banner so we wanted to make sure we did something worthwhile.’

The video of the banner will be available online at www.susu.tv from next week.