White House club to close down

1

The nightclub White House, located in the city centre, is due to cease trading on May 8th, with the lease for the premises to go on sale for £195,000.

The club is a popular destination for students, particularly from Southampton Solent University, as well as local residents. Sitting in the Above Bar area of the High Street, the venue has had a tough time over the last year or so, having been inspected by police back in December and receiving a temporary licence suspension as a result.

Site operator Richard Gilbert has revealed plans for a ‘funeral party’ to be held on the night of May 7th to commemorate the club and mark its closure. He has also hinted that, should no one be interested in taking over the building, he may re-purchase the venue and set up a new project which he describes as “exciting and revolutionary”.

The White House is no stranger to controversy: after the police report last year, local councillors spent hours deciding whether or not to shut down the venue; and back in October the club was in the papers for all the wrong reasons when Southampton F.C. player Lee Barnard was arrested for an alleged assault outside after a night out.

It remains to be seen whether the club will be allowed to put on its intended funeral party on May 7th, who will purchase the right to use the venue in the future, and what it will become in the months to follow.