SUSU AGM Date Announced

4

SUSU’s Annual General Meeting will take place on May 17th, it was announced earlier this week.

The AGM is the highest decision-making body in SUSU — with every student being invited and encouraged to attend. Anyone who does attend is then able to vote and sway decisions about the way the union is run.

What is more, anyone can propose a Motion to be discussed at the AGM. At last year’s AGM, proposals to support “Take Back Parliament” and to set up a SUSU Housing Agency were lobbied, as well as the contentious debate on whether AU Clubs should be allowed to host their AGM’s in a venue that serves alcohol.

Motions can be on anything you that students feel matters, be it the quality of education, accommodation, finance, social events, clubs, society, volunteering – or even if the Sabbatical team should have to jump into the stream running through campus.

The deadline to submit a motion is May 9th.

However, for a motion to stand, the AGM needs to have at least 250 students in attendance. Both last year’s AGM and this year’s Emergency General Meeting (EGM) regarding the Student Leader Elections failed to reach this figure.

This year, Charlotte Woods, VP Media & Communications is conducting an “AGM Steering Group”, for any student with ideas about how to best conduct and advertise the AGM – anyone wishing to be involved should email her at vpcomms@soton.ac.uk.

Any motion that’s passed at the AGM becomes SUSU policy, meaning the officers would have to act upon it. To find out more about writing your own motion, email SUSU President Billy Fitzjohn at pres@soton.ac.uk.

The Wessex Scene will be live-blogging at the event in a month’s time, as well as bringing you the build up to the event.

Afternoon! Welcome to my political world, reporting on all things studenty and politics-like. I do most of my writing whilst browsing the Internet when I should be doing other things, and I do love a good stat, so do expect links and numbers that are meaningless yet informative. Enjoy!

As far as I am aware this year’s sabbatical team have yet to test the wetness of water as they were mandated to do at the last council of last year.

Also surely it was contentious whether should be allowed to hold the AGM somewhere that DOES sell alcohol? Unless that was a wry comment on AU drinking habits of course.

“However, for a motion to stand, the AGM needs to have at least 250 students in attendance. Both last year’s AGM and this year’s Emergency General Meeting (EGM) regarding the Student Leader Elections failed to reach this figure.”

Hmmm…. We shall see…

Stranger

Here’s a novel idea…. change the rules for the number of students needed for a General Meeting to be legitimate.

I mean if you make it only 50 then you could grab 50 evangelical christians and ban the burkha!

The possibilities are endless….

Come on SUSU rise and lets take on those faceless bereaucrats that run the Union, promise the world in March and fail to deliver every year…

Revolution!!!!