Rise in Burglaries Forces Police Warning

1

Robberies in Portswood and Highfield last Thursday evening have lead Hampshire Police to urge for extra student vigilance.

Three laptops and a bottle of vodka were stolen from a student property on Alma Road between 10pm and 11.30pm on Thursday. The burglar climbed through a window and entered three bedrooms when the students were out.

A non-student house on Kitchener Road was burgled the same night at 7pm. Other residences in the Highfield area were also burgled last week.

Hampshire Police have joined the twitter campaign under the hashtag #Beat the Burglar, which suggests that 50% of burglaries in Hampshire could be prevented by locking doors and windows. Police have been patrolling student areas where ground-floor windows are open at night, and students have been woken by police who advised them of the security risks.

The Wessex Scene spoke to the police, who suggested that students should note down the serial numbers of laptops so that they can be traced if stolen.

Anyone with information on the burglaries should call the Southampton priority crime team on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111

My bike was stolen outside Gateley Halls early last year.
    Last year’s housemate had his bike stolen later that year.
    Few weeks back my new housemate had his bike stolen from our back garden.
    Just the other day my mate, Dave, had his bike stolen from outside Waitrose in Porstwood.

My new bike, always locked with a big, ominous D-Lock hasn’t even been touched since I’ve had it.

LOCK YOUR BIKES UP WITH D-LOCK’S PEOPLE!!