£70,000 stolen from National Express Coach

0

£70,000 worth of foreign cash has been stolen from a National Express Coach travelling through Southampton University on its way to Portsmouth.

In the form of Australian dollars and Thai baht, the money was stored in a large black holdall in the storage hold of the coach when the victim boarded at London Heathrow on Tuesday. Aged in his 80s, he bought the money from his home in Thailand with the intention of buying a home in the UK.

The money was stored in the coach before its departure at 16.45, arriving at The Hard in Portsmouth around 20.00 that evening. Unfortunately, the bag had disappeared when the owner went to retrieve it. The other coach stops, where the bag was most likely removed, were in Winchester by the King Alfred’s Statue around 18.30, Southampton Coach Station around 19.15, and Southampton University shortly afterwards.

PC Leigh Waller, of Hampshire Constabulary, said:

“We would like to hear from anyone who was on the coach, to eliminate them from our investigation, or from anyone else who may have been at any of the stopping points at the relevant times.”

Police have also alerted shopkeepers and bankers, who are now on the alert for anyone changing a large quantity of Australian dollars of Thai baht into sterling in the near future.

If anyone was on the National Express Coach, leaving London Heathrow at 16.45 on Tuesday 18th October, or saw anything suspicious at any of the coach stops, they are urged to get in contact with PC Waller at Portsmouth Central Police Station on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.