Enrollment For Malaysian Campus Now Opened

1

Student enrollment for Southampton’s first international campus opened earlier this week. 60 students will be admitted to start studies in Mechanical Engineering at the campus in Iskandar, Malaysia in October 2012.

The agreement to initiate the undergraduate studies was signed in January 2011 between University of Southampton’s Vice-Chancellor, Professor Don Nutbeam, and the developers Iskandar Investment Berhad. The Vice-Chancellor expresses his enthusiasm about the international campus:

The University is excited to be associated with the innovative EduCity development that brings together a host of world-leading educational institutions in a unique research and learning environment.

As one of the top UK institutions for engineering, computer science and medicine, and with multiple reputed research centres, the Chief Executive Officer of the Malaysian campus, Professor John McBride, believes that University of Southampton has much to offer Malaysian education. He says:

Southampton’s mechanical engineering courses are consistently rated very highly in university league tables. I am delighted that we will now be able to deliver our courses in Malaysia as well.

Likewise, the President/CEO of Iskandar Investment Berhad, Datuk Syed Mohamed Syed Ibrahim, emphasises how Southampton’s international reputation can boost the educational standards in Malaysia, and furthermore ‘address a shortage of engineers in Malaysia and nurture the next generation of industry leaders’.

Students enrolling for the Mechanical Engineering degrees will spend two years at the international campus, studying in English, and finish the last two years of the degree at the main campus in Southampton. Professor John McBride suggests that this opportunity will give the students a ‘truly international experience’.

Any idea if SUSU or its member societies will be setting up links with students at the new campus? At the very least, they should have their own local Sabb or similar representation: it’s important that connections are forged with the students before they travel to England.