Royalty visits Highfield

0

Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, formally opened a careers fair organised by Electronic and Computer Science yesterday. During his visit he discussed with staff, students and graduates about how universities in the UK could aid economic recovery through engineering and technology.

“It is a great pleasure to join you at the University of Southampton, which is globally renowned and a university of which the United Kingdom is extremely proud,” said His Royal Highness. “The fact that the Careers Fair has grown to the size it is today – and is actually bursting at the seams – is a sign of how important not only the universities are but also the businesses which are trying to attract so students to come and work for them.”

The Fair itself was a success, with sixty-five companies vying for the attention of students and offering graduate opportunities, internships and industrial placements. Many of the companies have fostered a relationship with the university in the hope of attracting our top students, paying regular visits to students, and some even providing prizes or awards for academic course modules.

“It’s been a great privilege for us to show off the University of Southampton to demonstrate how we work to transfer new knowledge and technology into the economy and for His Royal Highness to meet with some of the employers who are especially interested in the talents of our highly skilled students” said the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Don Nutbeam.