Skunks Ladies Dominate the Regional Competition

0

By Kat Smith

The Skunks women’s team headed to Plymouth on Sunday morning for the Western University Women’s Indoor Regionals. We set off with the aim of finishing in the top 3 in order to  qualify for the Nationals next month.

We started with the pool games in which we had to play Cardiff 2nd, Exeter 2nd and Bath 1st. We got off to a brilliant start and managed to beat Cardiff 2nds, 9-0 and Exeter 2nds, 7-0.  Our third and final pool game was against Bath 1st, we knew that we’d have to work really hard as we had not played them before. We went out on offence and Bath put a zone against us. We worked through it well and scored the first point easily. Then we played fantastically in defence and ended up winning 7-0 which was an outstanding result.

This meant that we won all of our pool games and were now in the  2nd seed. The fact that we had not conceded any points in our pool round meant that we started to get excited about the prospect of doing really well in the tournament.

Next we had a cross over with 7th seed, Bristol 1sts which we won comfortably 7-2.

This meant that we definitely had a shot at nationals as we couldn’t finish lower than 4th now.

After this game we knew things would get more serious and games would get harder as we had the semi final and then either the final or the 3-4 playoff. We had Cardiff 1sts in the semi final and everyone was really pumped for the match. We went out on offence, scored the first point and then once again played some great defence, resulting in an impressive 11-2 win.

This meant we had definitely qualified for nationals and were now in the final which was extremely exciting.

We had to play Plymouth in the final. It was a great game and all the other teams watched which meant that there was a great atmosphere. The game started really close, we started on defence and went 1-0 down. We then pulled it back to 1-1, went up 2-1 but the Plymouth equalized to make it 2-2. These first 5 minutes were very tense and we knew we had to work hard to win this. We really stepped up our game and finished the final 12-2. A fantastic result which we were all thrilled by.

Two of the guys from our club, Ed and James were woken up at 5.45am by an emergency phone call when our minibus didn’t turn up and consequently they drove us to Plymouth.  They were a fantastic sideline for us throughout the day and we owe them.

Overall, the competition was amazing. Everybody played well and worked hard in every game. I’m really proud of all the girls. We scored 56 points and conceded 6 which is a phenomenal achievement. Bring on the Nationals!

The Skunks Ladies Team with their well deserved trophy

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)