University Success at Curtain Call Awards

0

The University’s Performing Arts were well represented at this year’s 2011 Daily Echo Curtain Call ceremony, with two societies nominated for an impressive 13 awards.

Peter “Peewee” Ward said: “As Performing Arts’ Officer I am immensely proud of everything that all of our nominees and winners have achieved in recent weeks.  I know the massive amount of time and effort that all of our societies put in to creating such fantastic performances, and getting such recognition from external institutions is testament to how amazing the shows they put on are!  Congratulations to all the societies and individuals involved.”

Showstoppers won three awards; best choreography for Children of Eden, Vikki Rogers for Best Musical Director and Jeremy McCabe for Best Supporting Actor. The Light Operatic Society was nominated for Best Performance in an Opera for Tim Case and Megan Gibson for their roles in The Mikado, Kizzy Jacombs for Best Musical Director and Best Opera for The Mikado. Unfortunately they did not secure any awards, but still enjoyed the classy evening.

LOpSoc’s Emma Jeffrey said: ‘It’s our first time to be nominated which we are proud of and we had an amazing night!’

Showstoppers were delighted to win all but one of their awards, and LOpSoc was pleased that this was their first time to be nominated at the awards which attracted over 400 amateur performers from across the south in 37 different categories.

Both societies had an excellent turnout at the event, held at the De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel at Southampton Docks. The event, organised by the Southern Daily Echo, had an excellent atmosphere and was well received by all that attended, with every announcement being greeted with cheers from everyone present.

Other winners included the Maskers Theatre Company who won the prestigious Production of the Year title for their wonderful performance of Treasure Island. Entertainment was provided in between the Oscar-style awards, with a tense sword duel from members of the Collingwood RSC, as well as a beautiful duet from The Fiddler on the Roof.