Dance Societies Do Southampton Proud

0

The year has certainly started off well for the University’s Performing Arts. Not only were two performance societies nominated for curtain call awards, but the dance societies cleaned up at the Essex awards, being placed in all eight competitions.

Novice Ballet, Advanced Ballet, Novice Tap, Advanced Ballet and Novice Street all won their competitions with stunning routines. Lyrical was placed second and Advanced Contemporary and Advanced Jazz were third in their category.

Shane Murphy, Vice President for Student Engagement, said: “I would like to congratulate all of the Societies and Students involved for representing SUSU and the University of Southampton in such a good light. Keep up the good work!”

The teams had fierce competition, held at the Colchester campus of University of Essex, with 10 other universities competing. However, their routines shone through and won them a wonderful collection of trophies.

Claudia Bellwood, Rep for the Dance Societies, said: “I am really pleased with the performance everyone did. It’s great to see how the dancing societies have grown from one squad to eight in a year. Everyone tried 100% and were very supportive and excited for other groups”.

Claudia hopes that Southampton will hold its own competition at the end of the year, and the team now has high hopes for their biggest competition at Loughborough, especially as their ballet squad as won it for the last two years.

For a chance to see them in action, they will be showcasing their talent in the Pure Dance Performance on the 24th and 25th February, with tickets available from the Box Office.