Southampton’s Athletes Put in a Strong Performance at the BUCS Indoor Championships

0

By John Wright

On February 24th 2012, eight students travelled up to Sheffield to begin a weekend of high-end athletic competition at this year’s BUCS Indoor Championships.

We arrived at the English Institute of Sport early on Saturday morning and started with a bang. Well done to Anna Stevens for representing Southampton’s field contingent and gaining an excellent early season result in the Shot, showing great promise for the rest of the year. Dan Rebolledo showed brutal acceleration in a powerful 60m performance and then produced a very strong run in one of the fastest 200m heats of the weekend. Malcolm Gledhill also ran very well and eased his way into the semi-finals for both the 60m and 200m, his relaxed form and speed being a pleasure to watch throughout.

Both Tyson Oladokun and Emily Bonnett, ran very well in the 400m and both secured a place in their semi-finals continuing to fight lactic acid and run impressively rapid times in their second races, Emily also picked up a BUCS point for Southampton. John Wright held his own in a pushy 800m against last year’s champion, finishing in a promising time considering a long injury over winter.

Meanwhile, Jake Bradley proved his worth by showing a vast improvement in pace judgement since 10 days previous, running a very smart 1500m to reach yet another PB. David Lewis, having been in hospital very late the previous evening after knocking his head, somehow produced a very impressive 3000m, and despite the very dry air did Southampton proud over the distance, coming in just a touch over 9 minutes. The strong men’s 4x200m relay team then ran well together and powered through to a 3rd place in the heat, but unfortunately didn’t quite make the fastest qualifiers.

Well done and congratulations must go to all who took part and did Southampton University proud- Bring on the Outdoor Championships at the Olympic Stadium in May!

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)