Three Women assaulted in Southampton

3

Southampton police are searching for suspects after 3 women were attacked in the last 24 hours. In 3 separate attacks, lone woman were targeted and indecently assault.

The first occurred at 10pm on Tuesday night on Portswood Road when a 20-year old woman was grabbed by an Asian man, after he asked for directions to the university. The woman was able to push the man off, but he followed her into Grosvenor road, where he pushed her against a wall.

The other occurrences have occurred on Wednesday; the first on a 19-year old woman who was walking along Bannister Road between 1.30am and 2am. She was pulled into a dark area of the car park of a block flats, named ‘The Lodge’, where it is believed a knife was used against her.

The last incident occurred between 6.30am and 7am on a 25-yeard woman on Havelock Road. She was grabbed by the man as she was about to enter Matalan.

All women were indecently assaulted.

It is believed the police believe that the proximity of the attacks means that they are only looking for one offender, though are keeping open about other possibilites.

If you have any relevant information, please call Southampton Central police station on 101, or Crimestoppers anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Dreadful incidents, and there appeared to be a series of such incidents at around this time. Has anyone been caught and prosecuted for these attacks as yet?

Not putting any blame upon the victims, people should always of course try to take precautions to be safe, and not put themsleves in a situation where they are exposed to undue risk (eg do not walk home alone, do not have too much to drink, use night buses or the taxi scheme, try not to be out TOO late, or walk through or adjacent to unlit areas or parks on your own) and be reassured that Portswood does not in the main have unduly high crime rates compared to the national average and to other areas where large numbers of students socialise late at night.

See this excellent article by Alice Gray:

http://www.wessexscene.co.uk/features/2012/05/30/in-terms-of-crime-levels-just-how-bad-is-portswood-really/