New Student Accommodation in the Planning Stages

0

Plans to redevelop the former Mayflower Plaza site into new student accommodation have been announced today. A public exhibition to take place on the 9th and 10th of March at the Mayflower Theatre will see developers and landowners Osborne and Terrace Hill display their intentions for the site, which will also include local amenities.

Early plans include 1000 new student rooms, a shop, a cafe and a gym, some of which will be open to the general public. The site will be able to use energy from the existing energy system and cycling will be encouraged by replacing car-parking spaces with bike racks and security facilities.

Situated between Havelock, Commercial and West Park roads and near to Southampton Central station,  the proposed accommodation is centrally and conveniently located for university life.

The plans have been met positively by those at Southampton University. Caroline Court, Director of Student Services, said: “This development will go a long way to improving our offer to students. The site with its excellent transport links is ideal. It is altogether fitting that the university returns to having a presence in the city centre where it was originally founded 150 years ago.”

Directors of the plan believe the benefits of the development would go beyond students at the University of the Southampton. It is hoped that the new accommodation could boost the local economy and encourage further development in the town centre.

The exhibition is intended to spur on public comments on the proposals so that those working on the plans can adapt the development based on the advice of those living in the local area. It is expected that a planning application will follow later in the year.