SIFE Southampton National Champions for Second Year Running

1

The University of Southampton’s SIFE team has won the National competition for the second year in a row.

The team are the first team in six years to win consecutively.

SIFE Southampton have 12 projects, with 131 members, and have impacted 2,096 people so far with £15,160 investable profit.

Last year, SIFE Southampton became National Champions, but were knocked out of the World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, though still making SIFE UK and the University of Southampton proud.

SIFE, or Students In Free Enterprise, encourages students to run charities on both a local and global scale. Southampton’s SIFE team presented their projects Wisemind (teaching young people skills such as business, marketing and product development), Right Light (providing affordable access to solar power in rural East Africa) and EnterpRICE (improving the lives of farmers in Sierra Leone through rice cultivation).

The National Competition took place over two days, from the 18th – 19th of April, with Universities from across the country competing to represent the UK in the SIFE World Cup.

The team won after competing against teams from Sheffield, Nottingham and Surrey in the finals, though many said it was a very close competition, with comments upon the difficulty with which judges would have to make their decision.

The group of students will be representing SIFE UK in Washington DC later this year in the SIFE World Cup.

Jason Russell should be quaking in his boots at the thought of all these young social entrepreneurs coming onto the scene with their polished presentations and snazzy films